A MAN from Bulawayo who was part of a 12-men armed gang which allegedly raped two women and drowned their husbands in a South African dam has been arrested.
Nkululeko Ronald Dube (27) of Emthunzini near Solusi appeared before Bulawayo Magistrate Mr Tinashe Tashaya on Monday.
He was remanded in custody awaiting extradition to South Africa.
A court heard how Dube fled to Zimbabwe after committing the crime in October last year.
He was part of a 12-man gang that accosted and robbed the couples at Rhodes Park dam in Kensington, Johannesburg. The gang forced the husbands into the lake where they drowned before sexually assaulting and raping their wives.
Three gang members Thabo Nkala, Edmore Ndlovu and Mduduzi Mathibela are already appearing at the South Gauteng High Court in South Africa. Eight other accomplices, some of them believed to be Zimbabweans, are still at large.
Mr Tashaya remanded Dube to November 23 when the extradition application is expected to be heard.
Prosecuting, Mr Taurai Hondoyemoto said Dube and his accomplices stripped their victims and drowned them in Rhodes Park dam after robbing them of jewellery and cell phones.
“Accused persons ambushed the now deceased at Rhodes Park dam, Kensington in South Africa. They were armed with firearms and a knife. They demanded cash from them at gunpoint. When they realised that their victims had no money, they stripped and drowned them in the dam,” said Mr Hondoyemoto.
“Accused persons approached the two ladies and ordered them to lie down. They searched them but found no money. Dube used an Okapi knife to cut out one of the ladies’ panties and raped her once.”
Mr Hondoyemoto said one Detective Inspector Mugadza consulted Interpol Pretoria after Dube was arrested, and it was confirmed that the accused person was on their wanted list.
Source : Bulawayo24